2.17.2009

Première nuit à Paris

Since becoming an au pair, I have felt like a little mom. But having gone out my youth is restored! On Saturday night I went out to Paris with Ellie, an au pair from London who lives down the street. She's been here for 6 months, so this girl knows her way around. Taking the train was easy. But using the metro...whole 'nother ball game. The first time she came to Paris, she was trying to figure the system out on her own, had a panic attack, and went home. After 20 min, we arrive at the Bastille and it's 10pm. We chat as we wait to meet up with her friends. I see Ellie's face light up with recognition. As the boy and girl approach greetings, introductions, and kisses are exchanged. They were very nice, and struggled to speak to me in English as we swiftly walked down the cobble stone streets, and wove through the night crowd to make our way to a bar to meet up with the rest of the group. Her friends are dancing, talking, and enjoying themselves when we get inside. Ellie tells me everyone in our group of 8 or so are also au pairs, and the majority were Brazillian.

{we are all au pairs. the girl on the far left was gorgeous, but you can't tell here.}

After hanging out and dancing (me, Ellie, and Katya) hop back on the metro to meet up with some other friends at Notre Dame.
{katya, ellie, me}

{ellie & me. smoke. pretty prominient throughout the entire night. yak.}

When we do, we walk into the building directly next door, take the elevator to the top, and walk down the hall into a little apartment. It's a house party with locals who attend college near by. So many things to say about that party. In a nutshell: tons of smoking (cigarettes & tabaco mixed with weed. no wonder i felt super light headed); loud, but, good music (they have a thing for american oldies. who knew); and, of course,booze. But when asked why I was only going for the apple juice, Ellie thought it fascinating I was Mormon and proceeded to tell everyone at the party.
One kid, told me "I did not think girls existed like you."
"What do you mean?"
"You belive in Jesus Christ, no?"
"Yes, I belive in Chirst. But there are alot of people who believe in Christ."
"Not in Paris. We are Catholic."
How odd. Out the window I can see Notre Dame. The symbolism or purpose of this famous cathedral truly meant nothing to them. For the majority of the party agreed that God didn't exist, and nor did Jesus Christ. This may not be the consensus for all Catholics, but, among Parisian youth, it is.
I can't even remeber this kids name. But the way he talked made him sound like such an idiot. He began to talk about America and our belief in God by singing the opening song to 7th heaven. I caught the last few seconds of it on the video below. I thought it was funny, since some families in Utah truly remind me of 7th heaven. But I don't think that's bad. We stayed there until 6am, walked past Hotel de Ville, stopped at Ellie's favorite kabab shop where we ate a fatty kabab for dinner/breakfast. Then hurried to catch the train home. We ended up on the wrong side of the tracks, and had to sprint down the stairs, across to the other side, back up the stairs, and onto the train. Ohhh, blahh, thinking of this makes me sick because I remember how much I was regretting the kabab at that point. After 20 minutes on the train/metro, I was so glad to be crawling into bed.

7th Heaven



Meet Ellie

1 comment:

  1. This is AMAZING!!!! I love it! You must be having the time of your life. Even though i miss you lots, I think you made a great decision!!

    ReplyDelete